Thursday, May 19, 2016

Christ or a Cross?







Christ or a Cross?


Looking back I see the cross, covered by religious dross.
Iconoclast I may well be, it was the Christ who set me free.
Not the wood nor rusty nails, nor the spear that swift impales,
the Lord in death upon that cross, buried by religious dross.

Long live the resurrected King, the One of whom the angels sing.
Ten thousand voices laud his name, and in my heart I do the same.
Glory now and ever be, to the Christ who set me free.
Revere the Christ not wooden cross, still hidden by religious dross.

Through love the sacrifice was made, by Christ the ransom price was paid.
God wept to see his Son in pain, as Christ by human hands was slain.
In anguish Christ was offered gall, but to the minds of some recall,
an ancient wooden Roman cross, with all its crass religious dross.

What was the purpose of that cross, obscured by much religious dross?
A sacrificial perfect Lamb, as promised by the great “I Am”.
Why was it needed, and what was it for, why did they kill the Christ I adore?
Christ had to die upon the cross, that we avoid eternal loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Is What we Believe Tradition or God's Word?

  A sampling of comments and thoughts to think about when considering what we believe: A lie told often enough becomes the truth.” “In tod...