Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Power is Perfected in Weakness

Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.[1]

I see no point in wondering about Paul’s “thorn in the flesh”; the focus of his writing was God’s response to his prayers for the thorn to be gone, and also his reaction to what he was told. To those he wrote “I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” When things weren’t going the right way my mother used to say, “These little things are sent to try us.” I’m not sure that was theologically sound. That however didn’t matter because the notion helped my mother get through difficult times. That’s what I see happening with Paul. His response to having to put up with his thorn should be the response of every believer when faced with hard times, or problems. Certainly we need to ask God’s help either to get rid of some impediment, or learn to live with it.
whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,[2]
Paul’s statement followed a catalogue of his achievements, his Hebrew status was impeachable. He was someone of note, a Hebrew among Hebrews. His attitude toward those achievements was the same as what he demonstrated when God told him to he’d have put up with his impediment. Paul had it made, position, qualification, and attitude to go with them. He willingly gave all of that up, and when told that Jesus could be seen clearer through his weakness than through perfection, his was excited to let it happen. His weakness became his strength.

My view on prayers of request is that one should pray for what he or she wants, and give thanks for whatever God provides. We shouldn’t expect an audible response from God, though some say they have had such. My experience has been to notice God’s response in how events unfold. I realized early in life that if I goofed off instead of studying, no amount of prayer resulted in good marks. Likely, God’s response was in the teacher’s comment, “Could do better if he applied himself.” Paul’s reflection on prayer did not include laziness or goofing off. Instead of falling back on previous achievements Paul saw his way forward, “I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” At the first sign of trouble my prayers usually focus on a fix to get things back to normal quickly. Somehow I have been able to look at Paul’s attitude without it having directly impacting mine. In the early phase of Christianity God worked with believers differently to what he does today. I don’t expect to have the interaction with God like the first believers. There’s a lot of confusion today about what one can expect from praying. Preachers of “the prosperity gospel” would have us believe that God wants us all to be rich. Others teach that God heals all people, all you have to do is pray.. Christians seem confused about what constitutes a valid prayer. Some denominations teach followers to recite the “Lord’s prayer”. There are prayers and instruction on prayers in the scriptures. Hezekiah prayed for delivery from the Assyrian army; God routed the enemy and saved his people.[3] At a later time Hezekiah became fatally ill and prayed; God answered his prayer and healed him.[4] Hannah prayed for a son and God answered her prayer, she gave birth to a son.[5] James taught on the power of prayer.[6] Jesus taught his disciples how to pray.[7] We are not living under the law in the time of the prophets, we are not living in the last days of the Jewish era when Christianity began.

We are living in the time defined by God’s love, a time of opportunity in which man can be united with God. We live in a world in which both the kingdom of God and the kingdom of evil coexist. Since Jesus’ death, people can choose whether to be in God’s kingdom or not. We do not pray for God’s kingdom to come to earth, it is on earth. Believers are in God’s kingdom. Prayer is communication with God the Father, and God the Creator. Paul’s prayer for relief was very specific, he asked God to remove an issue causing him discomfort. When God told him his weakness allowed Jesus’ strength to be seen, he stopped praying to have that issue removed. When we ask God for relief from some difficulty, or to be given something, we have to allow God to answer in his way. Teachers who say that God will give you prosperity, or even health, because you simply pray, are not always right. Their teaching doesn’t answer why sometimes what you pray for is not given. That’s not a problem if you are just asking for something you want, but don’t need. If it’s a matter of life and death, and sometimes you get what you asked for and other times you don’t, that, leaves a person wondering; was it how I prayed? Why did one person die and another healed? We need to look back to when Jesus was on earth; did he heal every sick person? We know he didn’t raise everyone who died at that time. Maybe if we can answer why Jesus didn’t heal everyone, or give life back to everyone who died, we could answer why God responds to prayer the way he does. James has some words on God answering prayers. I don’t know, and, don’t need to know, why the prayer for one person results in healing, and the prayer for another has a different result.
Then Nebuchadnezzar in rage and anger gave orders to bring Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego; then these men were brought before the king. Nebuchadnezzar responded and said to them, "Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego, that you do not serve my gods or worship the golden image that I have set up? Now if you are ready, at the moment you hear the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery and bagpipe and all kinds of music, to fall down and worship the image that I have made, very well. But if you do not worship, you will immediately be cast into the midst of a furnace of blazing fire; and what god is there who can deliver you out of my hands?" Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to give you an answer concerning this matter. If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up."[8]
The attitude shown by the three accused is what we all should strive for. “…our God whom we serve is able to deliver us; …. But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.” We believe, we trust, we pray, knowing that God can accomplish whatever we ask. However, we don’t know what God will do. Our attitude should be, that we will continue to believe, to trust, and to pray. The efficacy of prayer has little to do with how we pray, and everything to do with God’s will. We can’t and don’t need to understand, we have to live by faith.

Sometimes due to our circumstances it feels that we can’t do very much. There is someone we need to observe; Jesus watched as people donated money at the temple. The rich people gave generously, as Jesus watched he saw a widow put a couple of small coins into the container, Jesus told his disciples that the widow had contributed more than any of the others. Jesus said, that the rich gave from a position of wealth, but the widow from her poverty. The lesson for us is that God looks at things differently to how we see them. God is shown through the miracles of feeding many with very little to be able to increase our efforts exponentially. What may not seem like much to us is magnified by God.



[1] 2Co 12:7-10
[2] Php 3:7-9
[3] 2Ki 19:14-19
[4] 2Ki 20:1-6
[5] 1Sa 1:12-20
[6] Jas 5:13-18
[7] Mat 6:5-15
[8] Dan 3:13-18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is What we Believe Tradition or God's Word?

  A sampling of comments and thoughts to think about when considering what we believe: A lie told often enough becomes the truth.” “In tod...